ENGLISH IMMERSION PROGRAM
click the image to see the video
Keystone Summer Archway is designed for non-native English speaking students currently at or interested in attending Keystone Academy or schools similar in their academic standards and teaching pedagogy, both in China and abroad. They will learn how to perform at a high level in an immersive and independent school learning environment. During this 3-week program, students will develop stronger proficiency in their ability to use English academically, while also honing study skills and approaches to learning. By participating in activity-based learning opportunities both in and outside the classroom, students will be well prepared for Keystone Academy and its peer institutions, and also develop and strengthen a genuine interest in learning as a personal quality.
Upon completing this program, students will have gained:
- Increase confidence in using English both academically and socially.
- Study skills to become more effective learners.
- Become familiar with a blended educational model that reflects learning traditions from around the world.
- Prepare for success in schools like Keystone Academy.
- A deeper love of learning.
- Language Acquisition through Content Learning: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Multiple Modalities of Learning: stage performance, laboratory experiment, round table (Harkness method) discussion.
- Highly Qualified Instructors: Keystone teachers and professionals with similar teaching credentials.
- Possible afternoon Activities: squash, basketball, swimming, badminton, soccer, table tennis, etc.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: most up-to-date instructional technology, Harkness table, indoor gymnasium, performing arts center, age group specific libraries and campus-wide wifi.
- Boarding program: Secondary students will be able to live at Keystone campus all three weeks. They will also be able to participate in activities and field trips on weekends.
What are the content courses?
- Junior Program: Drama, Humanities, Science
- Senior Program: Presentation skills, Research skills, Discussion skills
When is the program?
The program runs for three weeks between July 13 and July 31, 2020.
Whom does the program serve?
- Non-native English speakers currently in grades 3-11, attending or strongly interested in applying to private schools in China or secondary schools abroad.
- Boarding Program: Students whose date of birth is earlier than August 31st, 2008.
- Early Bird Deadline: February 16th, 2020
- Regular Admission Deadline: April 30th, 2020
- Keystone Summer Archway has a rolling admission policy. Any application submitted after the deadline will be accepted based on available seats.
- A student will be able to transfer between Day Program and Boarding Program once. To go through the transfer process, a written transfer request must be submitted to Summer Programs Office before June 1st, 2020. The extra money you’ve paid is refundable, and the money you need to pay must be paid in 5 working days.
The boarding program will be available to students whose date of birth is earlier than August 31st, 2008. Students will be able to live on campus at Keystone Academy, and be immersed in an English-speaking environment all day.
- Keystone Dormitory: 2 students will be able to share one room, with a private bathroom.
- Variety of activities: students will be able to be participate in a wide variety of activities at night and during the weekends. Possible activities include handicraft, astronomy observation, watching movies, playing games, practicing musical instruments, and more!
8:30 - 11:30 Content Courses
11:30 - 12:20 Lunch
12:30 - 13:30 Content Courses
13:30 - 14:45 Afternoon Extra-curricular Activities
14:45 - 15:30 Guided Daily Reflection
15:45 Dismissal (Day Program)
15:45 – 17:30 Boarding Program Activities Time
17:30 – 18:30 Dinner
18:30 – 21:30 Boarding Program Activities Time
How To Apply?
To apply, an applicant shall complete the application in four steps.
Step 1: Please complete the basic profile. Click here to begin your application.
Step 2: Please schedule an interview. Keystone Summer Archway allows two different ways for interview. An applicant may choose one that will work best for him or her. Please complete step 1 prior to your interview. It is strongly recommended that you schedule your interview as early as possible. To complete this step, please click here.
Step 3: Please make a payment for application fee. For more information, please click here.
Step 4: Receive a decision letter. Students who are accepted to the program will be notified upon acceptance along with payment details, and other required enrollment documents.
How much does the program cost?
The total cost is 20,000RMB (for Day Students) or 30,000RMB (for Boarding Students), which includes the application fee, tuition, educational materials, meals, use of sports facilities and certificate on successful completion of program. The application fee of RMB500 is non-refundable and must be paid before your application can be processed. The rest shall be paid within 20 days of your admission decision. Transportation is not included and optional, at a flat rate of RMB1500 for the duration of the program, which will be charged separately before the program starts. Bus service will be provided, for limited routes, based on the number of students.
Early Bird Discount: For applications received by Feb 16th, 2020, applicants will enjoy a 10% discount off the program fee (Excluding the bus fee).
Please pay your fees in one of two ways listed below:
1) Cash: Please deliver cash to the Finance Office at Keystone Academy (Room 1151F)
2) Wire Transfer: Please make a wire transfer to Keystone Academy. Please be advised that the student's full name must be noted in the memo part of the transaction.
Keystone Academy Bank Transfer Details
账户名称（RMB Account Name）：北京市鼎石学校
账户地址（Account Address）： 北京市顺义区后沙峪镇安富街11号, 101318
账户号码（RMB Account No.）： 11014732369002
银行名称（Bank Name）： 平安银行北京海淀支行
银行地址（Bank Address）： 北京市海淀区中关村南大街甲32号中关村科技发展大厦B座1层
A student who decides to withdraw from the program after a full payment has been made, must submit a written request to Summer Programs Office at email@example.com. Such request will be reviewed and processed within 10 working days according to the following rules:
1) The application fee of RMB500 is non-refundable without exception.
2) Bus transportation service is optional; the bus service fee of RMB1500 is non-refundable without exception.
3) Refund Schedule:
- If the written request is received on or before March 31st, 2020, a student shall receive 100% of the fees (excluding the application and bus service fees)
- If the written request is received on or before April 30th, 2020, a student shall receive 50% of his fees (excluding the application and bus service fees)
- No refund requests will be accepted or processed after April 30th, 2020
- When student transfer from Boarding Program to Day program, the extra money the family has paid is refundable, only if a written transfer request submitted on or before June 1st, 2020.
No refund will be made to any student who is dismissed for any reason from the program before the completion of the program.
All refunds must be deposited into the same bank account from which the payment was made.
Click the image to watch the video
- Jerry Zheng Grade 7, Middle School affiliated to Northwestern Polytechnical University
I like humanities best because all of us can talk and share our ideas. And my teacher Mr. Bozzi is a charming man who taught us about society. I have never learned that before. My English improved a lot too. I not only improved my oral English and comprehension, but also improved my way of thinking and reflecting. This is another level of English skills.
- Jack Jiang Grade 6, Yu Xin Middle School
I really enjoyed the humanities course on American history and culture. I learned so much about US geography, food, and its people. I also have never played squash or field hockey before, and I was able to experience both at Keystone’s summer program. Also, after this summer program, I began to like studying and my English improved a lot, such as my vocabulary. Instead of memorizing a lot of long words in our science class, we did lots of experiments and took notes. It was much easier this way to learn new words. I also became more confident. In our theater class, I practiced naturally speaking and writing in English. Even at lunch, teachers sat with students, and one teacher helped me correct my pronunciation. I learned so much.
- Ivy Wang, Grade 10, Tianshui No.2 High School
Three weeks, 21 days … I can’t find the correct words to describe this period of time except “rich,” “full,” and “exciting.” During these three weeks, we made many friends and gained a lot of insights. This has undoubtedly been a valuable time for us. After these special 21 days, I think I have a clearer goal as well as the motivation to fight for my life. During this time, we learned volleyball, ultimate frisbee and dodgeball, although we were not very proficient in these sports. We discussed all kinds of questions deeply in TOK class, and we also participated in TED talks, where our work was not very accomplished, but we definitely tried hard enough. In closing, I’d like to thank everyone involved for providing this special experience for us.
- Adela Han Grade 8, Beijing Royal School
Through the 3-week program, one big challenge for me was to play soccer in the sun for afternoon sports. It was physically consuming, but I kept pushing myself, and I succeeded. I was proud of that. I found Keystone Summer Archway very interesting. I learned so much without even knowing that I was learning. I believe future students will also enjoy it.
- Eva Yuan’s Parents Beijing Haidian District Experimental Primary School (Grade 6)
One day when Eva came home, she told me “I want to speak English at home too.” Everyday after she gets back home, she writes a long journal entry, a reflection on her day, and she enjoys it very much. My daughter also enjoyed squash and field hockey , as they were new to her. The theater course was what hooked her most. She was involved in play writing, mask making and group rehearsal. She felt she accomplished a lot. I know that even shared her experience with her friends, and she told them about her dream to become a superstar on stage on day.
- Matt Ma’s Parents Beijing No. 2 Middle School (Grade 8)
As a student who’s completed his education in a local public primary and middle school, and who’s about to study in America from grade 9, Matt gained a lot from Keystone’s Summer program. Matt is now completely convinced of the power of discussion-based learning, and the joy of learning. What’s even more important is that Matt feels much more prepared for his future in the United States.
- Vivian Liu’s Parents Fang Cao Di Primary School (Grade 5)
Out of all the feedback I’ve heard from Vivian, one comment stood out. Vivian wished that the summer program was a 7-day program. In other words, Vivian wanted to spend time at Keystone even on the weekend. It was the first time we heard such comment from her, and I know it was because she truly liked it.
- Kitty He’s Parent Keystone Academy (Grade 8)
I believe the biggest surprise for us was how happy Kitty was at the Summer program. It was a big change for her. Prior to the summer program, Kitty was quite resistant to signing up. However, once the program began, she couldn’t stop sharing all the fun she had had with us, when she returned home everyday. As her parent, I could sense that she really had a good time. She repeatedly commented on how close she had become with Ms. Grace. “We were like buddies,” she would say. It was a huge surprise to us because she had never said anything like that about any adult.